Shout Out

Shout out to Landon Donovan and Team USA!! For winning your Group and making us so proud. You guys have all of my support for the remainder of the World Cup, now beat Ghana!! USA! USA !USA!



Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

R.I.P. Keith "Guru" Elam July 17th 1962-April 19th 2010

Not sure how many of you are aware, but the Hip-Hop community lost one of its brightest stars this past Monday.  Keith "Guru" Elam, was a founding member of the Hip-Hop group Gang Starr, along with DJ Premier, and when I was younger, I thought no other rapper was cooler.  When you talk about someone having a command presence, and the ability to hold his own, Guru had it. I remember seeing the video for "Words That I Manifest" for the first time and thinking  "this Malcolm X looking cat is cool"--and their dancers are killing it (I had all of those moves down to the letter). 

Although not regarded as one of the best lyricist of all times, he actually was.  He had the flow, command, metaphors, and punchlines to hold his own with any MC of the day.  True, the production he and Premier wove together tended to outshine the content of his rhymes, but he was one of the greats.  Need proof, go back and listen to songs like " You Know My Steez", "Royalty", and "Just To Get A Rep" to name a few and tell me if I'm wrong. 

I remember the first time I saw "Mass Appeal" on Yo! MTV Raps, and I was just taken by how cool and fly he was.  The way he rocked he just went for his on the track and the swagger he displayed was so raw and under-appreciated.  He and Premo were a dynamic duo, but I truly believe he will forever be remembered for the genre-altering "Jazzmatazz" albums.  He was the first hip hop artist to combine a live jazz band with hip hop production and rapping.  It was also the first project to feature established rappers, opposed to the standard of using ones crew or posse to rhyme on an album.  At that time, the thought of hearing a rapper spit over the compositions of a Branford Marsalis, Ronny Jordan, and Roy Ayers, was unheard of. Its risks such as this, that will forever make him a legend. 

It's so funny how we tend not to appreciate greatness when its walking the earth with us, but I know his music will live on forever, because it was real music and was the soundtrack to many of our lives as we grew up in urban America.  Guru is all over my iPod and i'm sure that as I get older, I will continue to further appreciate and love the music he left behind.  Guru was actually a bacronym for Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal--and you know what, he had it and was it.

Rest in Peace Guru

Dwayne L.

No comments:

Pages

Search This Blog